Tuesday, March 3, 2015

College Essays are Trés Difficile

Goodness, time is just flying by. I swear yesterday was February 20 or something. But apparently today is not February 21, it is actually March 3. My mistake.

My kind and very considerate mother signed my sister and I up, the other day, for a seminar on how to write amazing college essays. I was rather reluctant to go, because, let's be honest, I got better things to do! But, I figured, it can't hurt to just show up. So, at 6 o'clock, I duly left the house, and drove to the seminar hall with Emma in tow.

As much as I'd like to be hip and scoff the idea of actually taking to heart what the speaker said ( I mean, what nerd ACTUALLY LISTENS to silly speeches like that?!), I was really quite impressed by the speaker. Yes, there was the usual load of waffle consisting of cliché statements like "You may think you're ordinary, but you're EXTRAordinary!!" But, on the other hand, she did really mention how admissions admins choose which applicants are suitable for acceptance.

To make a long story short, it was indeed a pretty good presentation.
My problem lies in the fact that sometimes my life is like...

Person: Anyone, even YOU can be extraordinary!
Other people: *tries very hard*
Person: See? I knew you could do it!
Me: *also tries pretty hard*
Person: . . . You gave it your best!

I guess, maybe I underestimate my self a little, but the whole time, I got so excited because I was actually being told what ideas to build off of and how to go about doing things, and then I remembered that I'm not good at essays.

x Alexis



No comments:

Post a Comment